1/2 cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
2 large eggs or 2 Tbsp. flax meal stirred into 6 Tbsp. hot water
½ cup gf oat flour
½ cup gf oats (or oat flour)
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup all purpose gluten free flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
¾ cup “buttermilk” of choice ***
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease 12-14 cupcake papers and place in cupcake tin.
2. Using electric mixer, combine applesauce and sugar on medium speed until well blended. Mix in eggs on low speed until blended.
3. In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. In a small bowl combine buttermilk and vanilla.
4. On low speed, beat dry ingredients into applesauce mixture, alternating with buttermilk, and ending with dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Using a large cookie scoop, scoop batter into prepared pans/papers and gently smooth tops if needed.
5. Bake at 350 for 22-28 minutes, until a tester inserted in center comes out clean. If baking in an 8” round pan, bake for 30-35 minutes.
*** To make buttermilk, pour 2 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add required amount of milk of choice. Stir, and let stand 5 minutes.