Welcome!

Welcome to ABC's and Allergies! I hope you will enjoy some of my thoughts and experiences with allergies and homeschooling, and try out some of my recipes. I have found a new passion for creating excellent meals that are free of Mandie's allergens, and are so yummy no one realizes they are "allergen free". I am also passionate about raising awareness of food allergies, and raising money for FAAN.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Cornbread (free of gluten/dairy/soy)

Tonight I made ham and bean soup and cornbread.  Both were so yummy!  For the soup I pre-soaked two pounds of soup beans, then this morning I put them in the crockpot with a ham, some tomato juice, fresh crushed tomatoes, a diced onion, and water to cover it all.  I cooked it on high for about 8 hours.  Everything was done to perfection!  Here's my cornbread recipe.

Cornbread
2 cups gluten free all purpose flour (we use BRM)
2 cups cornmeal
4 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
4 beaten eggs (or egg replacer of choice)
2 cups water
1/2 cup oil (I use corn oil)

Grease a 9x13 inch pan.  Combine dry ingredients.  Set aside.  In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, water, and oil.  Add to dry ingredients and combine.  Pour into prepared pan.  Bake 20-25 minutes until tester inserted into center comes out clean and top is slightly browned. 
I serve it with a variety of toppings such as maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, sorghum, and molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment