Welcome!

Welcome to ABC's and Allergies! I hope you will enjoy some of my thoughts and experiences with allergies and homeschooling, and try out some of my recipes. I have found a new passion for creating excellent meals that are free of Mandie's allergens, and are so yummy no one realizes they are "allergen free". I am also passionate about raising awareness of food allergies, and raising money for FAAN.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Grampa Cookies

I modified a few recipes to make a Mandie-safe version of the cookies my dad always made while we were growing up.  Dad even sent several batches to my best friend after she went off to college since she missed them so much.   We always called them "Dad's Cookies", so now they're "Grampa Cookies".

Grampa Cookies
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
 2 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup corn oil
 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. water
 2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cups chocolate chips
3 1/2 cups gluten free oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  In a separate bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. water + 2 Tbsp. vinegar + 2 tsp. baking powder.  On medium speed, beat oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla until well blended.  Stir in the flour mixture into sugar mixture until well blended and smooth.  Stir in chocolate chips and oats.  Using a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto cookie sheets.  Flatten just a bit.  Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set in the middle.   Cool on sheets for 3 minutes before removing to racks to cool.  Store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. My batter came out really dry, so I put it in a bar pan and made cookie bars. The kids love them!

    ReplyDelete