Welcome!

Welcome to ABC's and Allergies! I hope you will enjoy some of my thoughts and experiences with allergies and homeschooling, and try out some of my recipes. I have found a new passion for creating excellent meals that are free of Mandie's allergens, and are so yummy no one realizes they are "allergen free". I am also passionate about raising awareness of food allergies, and raising money for FAAN.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Pancakes

Pancakes are a favorite dinner in our house, so we make them quite often.  I usually serve them with Jennie-O Breakfast Lovers Turkey Sausages and several varieties of homemade syrups.  The kids also like to spread them with various nut butters and sprinkle them with sugar before rolling them up to eat.  I make a huge batch at a time so that I can feed seven hungry people and have some left for the kids to snack on the next day or (if I'm really lucky) to freeze for later. I really need to just make some up for the freezer for quick breakfasts - but only if the kids are not around.   They LOVE these pancakes!  Here's how I make them.  You can cut the recipe down to a half or quarter to suit your needs.  It is extremely forgiving.  The pancakes are very light and satisfy all of my IHOP cravings. 

Jen's Multi-Grain Pancakes

1 cup Bob's Red Mill all purpose flour blend
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup gf oat flour (we use Bob's Red Mill brand)
1 cup buckwheat flour
4 Tbsp. sugar
8 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
4 beaten eggs (or 4 Tbsp. flax meal combined with 12 Tbsp. water)
4 cups water or milk of choice
8 Tbsp. applesauce or other fruit puree
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup flax meal (if using eggs)
2-3 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients until well combined and batter is fairly thin.  I use an ice cream scoop to make 8 pancakes at a time on an electric griddle.  Cook until bubbly and bottoms start to brown, flip, and cook for 2-3 more minutes.  I often toss blueberries into a batch of these.  I like to use chunky applesauce for more flavor and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment