Welcome!

Welcome to ABC's and Allergies! I hope you will enjoy some of my thoughts and experiences with allergies and homeschooling, and try out some of my recipes. I have found a new passion for creating excellent meals that are free of Mandie's allergens, and are so yummy no one realizes they are "allergen free". I am also passionate about raising awareness of food allergies, and raising money for FAAN.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Modifications on a cake mix

Yesterday I made a WONDERFUL apple spice cake starting with a box of Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake.  I added 1/2 cup of homemade chunky applesauce in place of the oil, and added about 1 Tbsp. each of cinnamon, freshly ground nutmeg, and freshly grated ginger. I added the rest of the things called for on the box, and baked as directed.  Even my gluten eating friends couldn't get enough of it.  I'm sure it will be wonderful with pumpkin instead of applesauce, and some added ground cloves along with the other spices.  I can hardly wait to try it!

Another variation I love is adding 1/3 cup of dark cocoa, and either extra vanilla, peppermint extract, or 1-2 tsp. of espresso powder or freshly brewed coffee in place of the water.    

No comments:

Post a Comment