Welcome!

Welcome to ABC's and Allergies! I hope you will enjoy some of my thoughts and experiences with allergies and homeschooling, and try out some of my recipes. I have found a new passion for creating excellent meals that are free of Mandie's allergens, and are so yummy no one realizes they are "allergen free". I am also passionate about raising awareness of food allergies, and raising money for FAAN.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Spinach Noodle Soup and Black Bean Brownies (top 8 free)

Tonight I tried a couple of new recipes with excellent success!  Together they make a nice light dinner and a decadent yet healthy dessert. 

Spinach Noodle Soup
6 1/4 cups gluten free chicken broth (I use homemade turkey broth)
8 oz uncooked dry spaghetti -style rice noodles (we used DeBoles brand),  broken into thirds
2 cups matchstick carrots
4 oz. snow peas, cut in half
4 cups packed spinach leaves
2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. gluten free soy sauce (we like San J brand)
1/8 to 1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes

Bring broth to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.  Add noodles.  Return to a boil.  Cook for 4 minutes (2 minutes less than package instructions).  Add carrots and snow peas; cook 2 minutes longer until pasta is tender.   Remove from heat; add spinach, chicken or turkey, onions, ginger, soy sauce, and pepper flakes.  Let stand 4-5 until spinach wilts and flavors combine. 
This is such a quick, amazing soup!   We all enjoyed it very much.  It would be great with gluten free cornbread, or herb bread.


Black Bean Brownies
(top 8 free)
1 can black beans
1 box gluten free brownie mix

Puree beans in their liquid.  In a mixer bowl, add beans to brownie mix and combine well.  Spoon into a greased 9x13 inch pan.  Bake according to package instructions.  Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
These are super yummy!  They're very moist and fudgy.  The kids could not get enough of them.  The friend I got these from said that each piece is just 1 Weight Watchers point.  

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed the Brownies!! I know it sounds weird, but it is a brilliant recipe!! The Spinach Noodle Soup sounds wonderful! I will have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way...I couldnt remember what my Log In was until it posted..Kmarie is me....Kristina!! LOL

    ReplyDelete